Pages

Just so you know

All right. I have ideas. I think about stuff. So here is the spot for stuff I'm thinking about and want to be able to share more broadly and possibly promote. Like I have time for this.

Everything is provisional at this point and subject to change in the future - as far as the blog is concerned. In real life some things will remain unchanged.

Also, our children are not really named Lenny and Linus. We are not that cool.

Feel free to share, rant, disagree, but please remember that I'm an actual person who tries to be respectful. I'd love it if you are and do to.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Almost a Recipe: Quinoa Chicken and Broccoli Salad



I haven't tried making quinoa since before Lenny was born.  I had a bag sitting in the cabinet, though and the other day since the rice cooker was dirty and I was in a hurry I gave it a try.  Turned out to be easy to cook and a big hit with the five-year-old.  He mostly liked it because it reminded him of rice.

What I made turned out to be pretty tasty in my opinion too.  Basically I just threw together what came to hand.  Quinoa is a pretty neutral ingredient - I think this could be modified so many ways.

All measurements are approximate.  The only measuring I did was the quinoa and water.

Ingredients:
1 C quinoa
2 C water
1 cooked chicken breast chopped (I used rotisserie)
1 package chopped frozen broccoli cooked in the microwave until tender-crisp
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 C salad dressing (I used roasted red pepper dressing, but Italian would work well also)
Salt and pepper to taste
More salad dressing for the table

Method:
  1. Cook quinoa according to package directions - my package said to put the water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes.  
  2. Combine remaining ingredients in order given.
  3. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.  We ate it all these ways.  It was good after it had sat in the fridge for a day and the flavors intensified.
Possible modifications:
Vegetarian: Add about two cups of chick peas instead of chicken
Mediterranean: Use feta cheese instead of Parmesan.  Add some dried or fresh basil.
After Easter: Add ham instead of chicken.  Serve with pickles.
Summer: Use whatever fresh veggies are on hand instead of frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment